Order of Friars Minor Capuchins (OFM. CAP.)
The Order of the Fariars Minor Capuchins is one of the three branches of the Franciscan First Order, founded by St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226), to lead a life based completely on the idea of brotherhood, living the Gospel counsels in simplicity and poverty.
Vinayalaya, Shivmandir Marg, Sarnath P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221007, Tel. : (0542) 2595739
The Capuchin Friars came to India soon after the foundation of the Order and have been ever since working in the vast mission fields of India.
In order to plant the Order in the soil of India, a Novitiate was opened at Sardhana, U.P., in 1930. It was transferred to Frangipet in South Canara. With this foundation, Indian youth began to flock into the Order. Soon other houses were opened. They worked as preachers of parish missions and retreats, confessors and directors of the Third Order and Pious Associations.
Their aim is to lead a life of close imitation of the Gospel in the footsteps of St. Francis of Assisi, combining the contemplative and active life and striving above all through self-sanctification to spread the kingdom of God on earth.
Varanasi Diocese is, to a large extent, the fruit of the labours of Capuchin Fathers who worked here from 1947 onwards.
Minister General : Most. Rev. Bro. Mauro Joh’ri, ofm. Cap.
Generalate : Curia Generale Dei Frati Minori Capuccini
Via Piemonte 70
00187 Roma, Italy
Provincial : Fr. Aloysius Noronha, OFM. Cap.
Provincialate : St. Fidelis Ashram
Telephone : (0522) 2373089
Fax. : (0522) 2328971
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Indian Missionary Society (IMS)
In response to a long felt need for indigenous labourers for the spread of the Gospel and with the conviction that the salvation of India would be brought mainly through her sons, Fr. Gaspar A. Pinto, guided by Divine Providence, founded the Indian Missionary Society.
With the consent of Bishop Angelo Poli, OFM. Cap. of the diocese of Allahabad, Fr. Gaspar A. Pinto, on the November 03, 1941 came to Benares, then in the diocese of Allahabad and founded the first house of the Indian Missionary Society.
In November 1947, Msgr. Jose Fernandez A.E., a priest of the diocese of Mylapore, was appointed superior of the society.
Maintaining the same missionary spirit and scope of the society, with the consent of the members Msgr. Fernandez formed it into a religious Congregation and framed a new Constitution for it. The Society was canonically erected on the January 26, 1953 as a Clerical Religious Society with simple vows by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Jerome Malenfant, the Local Ordinary, with Msgr. Jose A. Fernandez as the Superior General.
Fr. Silanath, one of the professed members of the Society, was appointed as the Pro-Superior General and took charge of the Society on December 14, 1959. On April 04, 1965, the first General Chapter of the Society was held during which Fr. Silanath was elected Superior General.
Fr. Prabhu Prasad was elected Superior General in March 1971 and re-elected in 1977. Fr. Joseph Dilasa as the third elected General took charge of the Society in March 1983 and he was re-elected in January 1989.
Sharing in the mission of the Church, the Society has pioneering evangelization as its specific aim as the reason for its existence.
The word "Indian" in the title "The Indian Missionary Society" implies its indigenous character. It expresses not only the fact of its members being indigenous but also the manner of their life both personal and communitarian, and their apostolate. It also implies that the members uphold and integrate traditional values and cultural riches purified and enriched by the Gospel.
On June 29, 1992 two provinces were erected with headquarters at Karnal and Varanasi. Later the Karnal headquarters was shifted to Delhi. In 1999 the society was raised to Pontifical Rite.
1. Chaitanya (IMS Generalate)
Superior General : Fr. Subhash, IMS
Address : 'Chaitanya' IMS Generalate
P.B. 2076, Maldahiya
Varanasi, U.P. 221002
Telephone : (0542) 2202977, 2206191
Fax : (0542) 2206191
E-mail : email@example.com
2. Anjali (IMS Varanasi Provincialate)
Address : Anjali
Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2290911, 2290449
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org,
3. Vishwa Jyoti Gurukul, Christnagar P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2290688, 2290289
4. Matridham Ashram, Christnagar P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2290861
E-mail : email@example.com
5. Jan Seva Ashram, Village Benipur, Christnagar P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003.
Telephone : (0542) 2626524
6. Jan Vikas Samiti, Village Benipur, Christnagar P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003.
Telephone : 9415303917
7. Jyoti Nivas, Sohaon P.O., Ballia Dist., U.P. 277504
Telephone : 9934616302
8. Vishwa Bandhu Ashram, Belasi, Nandganj P.O., Ghazipur Dist., U.P. 233302
Telephone : 9838148770
9. Prerana Sadan, Shantinagar, Ekavaspatti, Village Bhitri, (Via) Saidpur, Ghazipur, U.P. 233304
10. St. Joseph's Dispensary, Christnagar, Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2290688
11. Vidya Niketan (Study House), Chhittupur, BHU P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221005
Telephone : (0542) 2366380
12. Chetna Bhavan, B-9, Harinarayan Vihar, Sarnath, Varanasi, U.P. 221007
Telephone : Res. (0542) 2587664
: Off. (0542) 2616289
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Vishwa Jyoti Communication Centre, S 20/51-7, Nepali Koti, Varunapul, Varanasi Cantt., U.P. 221002
Telephone : (0542) 2505545
E-mail : email@example.com
14. ASMITA, B-5/197, Shivala Ghat, Varanasi, U.P. 221001
Telephone : (0542) 2277473
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
15. ASMITA, D 64/137-J Sigra, Varanasi
Telephone : (0542) 2222486 Child Line
2222487 Child Line
16. Ashray (House for the Mentally disturbed people), Matridham Ashram
Telephone : (0542) 2290961
17. Gyan Bharati, Regional Theologate, Bhojubir, Varanasi, U.P. 221002
Telephone : (0542) 2281852, 2280206
Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales (MSFS)
The Congregation of the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales was founded by Father Peter Mary Mermier on October 24, 1838. Besides, with the help of Claudine Echernier he also founded the Sisters of the Cross of Chavanod. The MSFS or the Fransalians reached the shores of India in 1845. In the General Chapter of 1996, the Maharashtra-Goa Province was divided into Nagpur and Pune Provinces. Thus Nagpur became a Province with missions extending to North India as far as Delhi. The MSFS are working in thirty-one areas in different parts of India.
At the request of Bishop Patrick D’Souza the congregation of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales started their ministry in the Diocese Varanasi in 1998 in Hartmannpur along with the Novitiate at Bhojubir. In 2008 they handed over Hartmannpur Parish back to Diocese.
In 2004 the Novitiate in Bhojubir was shifted to their own building in Koirajpur.
Superior General : Father Agnelo Fernandes, MSFS
Generalate : Via del Mascherino
46/3, I-00193, Roma, Italy.
Telephone : (0039) -06-68804989
E-mail : email@example.com
Provincial : Father Sebastian A.M., MSFS
Provincialate : St. John's High School
Nagpur, Maharashtra - 440001
Telephone : 0712-527805, 0712-5321403
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile no. : 9422108536
Dhyanashram, MSFS Novitiate, Harahua, Post Koirajpur, Varanasi, U.P. 221005
Telephone : (0542) 6545483
E-mail : email@example.com
Mobile : 9839245483
Norbertines (O. Praem)
The Canon Regulars of Premontre, also known as Norbertines, are members of the Order founded by St. Norbert in 1120, at Premontre, in France. Their way of life is based on the Rule of
St. Augustine. The Order aims at the practice of the love of God and neighbour through solemn celebration of the liturgy, recitation of the Divine Office in common and by engaging in parochial, educational and social activities.
It spread very quickly all over Europe. Now the Norbertines are also in Africa, Brazil, Canada and U.S.A. The first Norbertines came to India in 1923. In 1929, the mission territory of Jabalpur (since 1954 a diocese) was entrusted to them.
The Novitiate and study House for the Order was started at Jabalpur in 1962. In 1966, the Order took up a new parish and High School at Bandra East (Mumbai) and started there a Study House of the Order and Community Life. There is also a Study House and Community Life of the Order in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Nagpur.
Abbot General : Most Rev. Thomas, O.Praem
Generalate : Casa Generalizia
27-29 Viale Giotto
I-00153, Rome, Italy
Telephone : 003906 3906571
Abbot : Fr. Rockey D' Souza, O.Praem.
Abbey : St. Norbert's Abbey
Jamtara, 1, Ahilya Bai Marg
Jabalpur, M.P. 482001
Telephone : (0761) 2606447, 2602761
1. Catholic Church, Indara P.O., Mau Dist., U.P. 275102
Telephone : (0547) 2272087, 2272665
2. Shree Yesu Ashram, Mirpur Tandi, Banpokhra P.O., Dist. Mau, U.P. 275102.
Telephone : (05461) 261085
3. St. Norbert's Church, Ghosi, Dharauli, P.O. Manikpur Harahua, Dist. Mau, U.P. 272504
Telephone : (05461) 223061
Society of Jesus (SJ)
The Society of Jesus was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1534 at Montmartre, Paris, for the defence and propagation of the Faith, and confirmed by the Holy See on September 27, 1540. Besides educational work in Seminaries, University, Colleges, Schools, the Society promotes various scientific and cultural works, and is also engaged in giving retreats and doing mission work. The Society has several houses of formation and novitiates in various parts of India.
Telephone : (0542) 2366823
In Varanasi, Jesuits lived and worked in the intelligencia amidst the intellectuals working for inter religious dialogue and study mainly about religion. The society established a house of study for the students who get admission for higher studies in BHU and other universities of the city of knowledge and religion.
Fr. Ignatius Puthiadam is remembered for his contribution to the Inter Religious Dialogue in Varanasi.
Superior General : Fr. P. Kolvenbach, SJ
Generalate : Borgo S. Spirito 5
I-00100 Roma, Italy
Provincial of India : Fr. Lisbert D'Souza, SJ
Provincialate : Jesuit Residence
225, Jor Bagh
Telephone : (011) 24694713, 24633277
Fax : (011) 24642862
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Delhi Jesuit Region
Superior : Fr. Joseph Mannaravelil, SJ
Address : St. Xavier's
4, Raj Niwas Marg
Delhi - 110054
Telephone : (011) 2294-7077
Fax : (011) 2292-5229
1. Vidya Nivas, N-1/71-3A Nagwa, Varanasi, U.P. 221005
St. Joseph's Missionary Society of Mill Hill (MHM)
This Society of Apostolic life was founded at Mill Hill (London) in 1866 by Herbert Vaughan, an English diocesan priest who later became Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster. It is a fellowship of priests and lay-brothers who wish to dedicate their lives to the Proclamation of the good news in all continents to those who have not yet received it, and especially to those who are most in need of Good News - the poor in body and spirit, the oppressed, the isolated and the uncared for.
Since the early seventies, the society also sends out lay men and women, including married couples, who work in their own profession for the same missionary aims alongside other Mill Hill missionaries. This is a short term commitment on the basis of a three or six year contract. The motto the founder chose for the missionaries is : Amare et Servire, to love and to serve.
In 1875 the first group of four Mill Hill missionaries landed in Chennai (then Madras). They had come at the request of the then Vicar Apostolic to work in the Telugu mission in what is now Tamilnadu and Andhra Pradesh. A few years later Rome requested the society to send missionaries to north India and Afghanisthan. In 1887 this developed into the prefecture of Kashmir and Kafiristan. Later, part of this became the diocese of Jammu and Kashmir. The work of the society in Varanasi is a recent development. Though formerly Mill Hill missionaries came only from Europe and North America, at present there is an increasing number from African countries, India and Philippines.
Address : Mill Hill Missionaries
P.O. Box 3608
E-mail : email@example.com
Superior for India : Fr. Vincent Oates, MHM
Address : St. Joseph's House
Ramanthapur, Amberpet P.O.
Tel./Fax : 040-7172734
1. Shanti Ashram, Madhopur, Kurhuwa P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221005
Mobile : 9935957145
Franciscan Missionary Brothers (CMSF)
The congregation was founded by Very Rev. Bro. Paulus, CMSF and was canonically erected at first in Nagpur on February 01, 1901. It was placed under Propaganda Fide on January 08, 1921. Though primarily missionary, the congre-gation engages in various other activities such as conducting schools, orphanages, hospitals, social service centres, industrial institutes and agricultural establishments.
Generalate : Franciscan Brothers
Mount Poinsur, Borivli P.O.
Mumbai - 400092
Telephone : (022) 28952997, 28932126
Provincial : Bro. Julius George, CMSF
Provincialate : Provincial House
Khera Khurd P.O.
Delhi - 110082
Telephone : (011) 27844380, 27844983
1. Social Welfare Hospital, Indara, Mau Dist, U.P. 275102
Telephone : (0547) 2272035, 2272295
Apostolic Carmel (AC)
The congregation of the Apostolic Carmel, whose Mother House is in Mangalore was founded by Mother Veronica in 1868. She was helped by Bishop Marie Ephraem, who was Vicar Apostolic of Mangalore at that time.
1. Carmel Convent, P.O. Ratasi, Birabhanti, Ballia Dist., U.P. 221709. Tel. : 9451576954 (M)
The special aim of the Congregation is to engage in the work of education at all levels and other charitable works according to the needs of the Church.
Generalate : Apostolic Carmel Generalate
6, East End Road
P.B.4107, Jayanagar, T Block P.O.
Bangalore - 560041
Telephone : (080) 6341393
Provincial : Sr. Maria Dipasha, AC
Provincialate : Apostolic Carmel
Telephone : (0612) 2536795
Daughters of Charity (DC)
The congregation of the Daughters of Charity, founded in France on November 29, 1633, by St. Vincent and St. Louise de Marillac, is known in the church by the name of "Company of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, Servants of the Poor". The charism of the congregation is to serve the poorest of the poor, spiritually and materially. The motto is "The Charity of Jesus Crucified Urges us".
The Congregation is present in all the five continents and it has a universal Mission. In the various dioceses it participates according to its particular spirit, in pastoral plan determined by the local Ordinary and in the life of the local church. At present there are 21,200 sisters working in 70 provinces. The congregation extended its evangelical Mission in the diocese of Varanasi in 2005.
In the beginning two sisters came to the diocese and stayed with SRA sisters in Francispur and learned about the diocese, language and culture. Only then, they proceeded in joining the new mission station at Hardiya. The sisters are looking after the community health and dispensary work.
1. St. Vincent Seva Sadan, Hardiya, Karsi Post, Via Navanagar, Ballia, U.P. 221717
Telephone : 9451083415
Dina Sevana Sabha (DSS)
Dina Sevana Sabha (Servants of the Poor) is a Religious Congregation founded in Pattuvam, Kannur (Dt.) Kerala, in the diocese of Calicut, now Diocese of Kannur, by Sr. Petra Dinadasi on June 01, 1969. By God's providence she happened to be in Kerala for 3 years in Caritas Institute, Thellakom, Kottayam. She was touched by the poverty and hard life of the people. The words of Christ echoed unceasingly in her heart.
The Congregation is meant to reflect and make God's love visible for all men and women, make God's will effective that all should find salvation. DSS members are more than 500 in number, working in India and abroad, the remotest rural corners, among the poor, whom the "progress" has left behind, amidst lepers segregated by society, among the little ones to whom affection is unknown, who dare not hope for care and comfort. DSS accept the challenges of the time, consider any work as of equal dignity with hearts alive tender love and hands out-stretched to serve and heal with selfless dedication, simplicity and hard work.
In response to a special invitation of Rt. Rev. Dr. Patrick Paul D'Souza, Bishop of Varanasi, North region of DSS opened a house in Bahadurganj in September 1999. Another community was opened in the Holy City of Varanasi on July 24, 2000 to join in the ministry with the slum dwellers (migrant, domestic workers, street children, ragpickers etc.).
Mother General : Sr. Bertholomea, DSS
Generalate : Snehaniketan Convent
Pattuvam P.O., Thaliparamba
Kannur (Dist) Kerala-670143
Telephone & Fax : 0498-2220046, 2220448
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Provincial : Sr. Salesia, DSS
Vice Provincial House : Amal Jyoti
Dina Sevana Sabha
Buda Village, Judepur
Jhansi, U.P. 284002
Telephone : (0510) 6520256, 6452371
E-mail : email@example.com
1. Shantinivas Convent, Bahadurganj, Ghazipur (Dist.) U.P. 275201.
Telephone : (05493) 253161
2. Premnivas Convent, Khrist Panthi Ashram, B 30/190 Nagwa, Varanasi, U.P. 221005.
Telephone : (0542) 2368916
Franciscan Clarist Congregation (FCC)
The Franciscan Clarist Congregation was formed on December 14, 1888 at Changanachery, in Kerala. It was the fulfillment of the ardent desire of eight pious women who were the members of the Franciscan third order. The outstanding characteristics of this congregation are spirit of prayer, life of hard work, care of the destitute and service to the poor. Eventually the teaching of religion and the imparting of education were included in their apostolate. There are twenty provinces and three regions in India. There are about seven thousand sisters living in the spirit of the founders in the congregation.
The sisters joined the diocesan mission in two places - Shanti Dham Ashram for prayer apostolate and in Matridham Ashram for ministry of the mentally disturbed patients.
Mother General : Rev. Mother Ceelia, FCC
Address : Portiuncula, Aluva
Kerala, 683 101
Telephone : (0484) 2838588, 2837317
Provincial : Rev. Sr. Betty Treesa, FCC
San Damiano Provincial House
Noida, U.P. 201 301
Telephone : (0120) 2506804, 9810897
1. Shanti Dham Ashram, Luchepur Village, Harahua Post, Rameshwar, Varanasi, U.P. 221105
Telephone : 9838569268
2. Ashray, Matridham Ashram, Christnagar Post, Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2290961
Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM)
In India, at Ootacamund, the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary was founded on January 06, 1877 by Blessed Mary of the Passion. This "Gift of God" is actualised through generation of FMMs in a diversity of language, culture and nationalities who in a specific manner live the same clarion-call. With Simplicity and Joy as Franciscans, the sisters strive to live the everyday 'yes' as Mary our mother. As missionaries, the sisters work in every field of apostolate according to the needs of the Church, ready to go everywhere to announce the 'Good News'.
Superior General : Sr. Christiane Megabene, FMM
Generalate : Casa Sant Elena
Via Giusti 121
I-00185 Roma, Italy
Telephone : (0039) 06-70453555
Fax (0039) 06-77207458
Provincial : Sr. Gemma Xavier, FMM
Provincialate : Prabhalaya
W 89, Greater Kailash II
New Delhi - 110048
Telephone : (011) 29214647
Fax : (011) 29210741
1. Seva Sadan Convent, Majhgain P.O., (Via) Naugarh, Chandauli, Dist., U.P. 232111.
2. Shanti Sadan, Ramnagar P.O., Varanasi Dist., U.P. 221008.
Telphone : (0542) 2668889
3. Asha Kiran Novitiate, Ramnagar P.O., Varanasi Dist., U.P. 221008.
Telephone : (0542) 6451685
Franciscan Servants of Mary (FSM)
The Congregation of the Franciscan Servants of Mary was founded by Mother Marie Sainte Clare in France in 1852 and started its house in India in 1934. The members of this Congregation work for the protection, training and education of the youth. They also care for the sick in hospitals and dispensaries.
The congregation joined the ministry of evangelization in the Diocese in 1971, at Rasulpur with five sisters. They engaged in health and education. Since 1979 FSM sisters after living in several places like Mawaiya, Sarnath, Bhojubir, built their own house Amardeep, at Sarang Talab, Varanasi. It has served as formation house, and now it is the Provincialate of the Northern Provice. It was also a shelter for the children of the leprosy patients.
Mother General : Sr. Anne Joseph Le Bellec, FSM
Generalate : 11, Bld, Eugene Riffault
F-41000 Blois, France.
Provincial : Sr. Tara, FSM
Provincialate : Amardeep Convent
P.O. Tapovan Ashram
Varanasi, U.P. 221002
Telephone : (0542) 2585275, 2588608
1. Amardeep Convent, Sarang Talab, P.O. Tapovan Ashram, Varanasi, U.P. 221002.
Telephone : (0542) 2585275, 2588608
2. Khrist Sevashram, Rasulpur, Mason P.O., (Via) Bhawarkol, Ghazipur, U.P. 233231.
Telephone : (05493) 250042
3. Shanti Niwas Convent, St. Thomas Inter College, Shahganj, Jaunpur Dist., U.P. 223101.
Telephone : (05453) 221960
4. Maria Seva Niketan Convent, Parjipah, Mahuari P.O., Ghazipur Dist., U.P. 275201.
Telephone : 95(0)5493-292089
5. Jyotir Bhavan, St. John's Hindi School, Dhannipur, Lohata P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221107.
Telephone : (0542) 2255566
6. Samarpan Novitiate C/o St. John's Hindi School Dhannipur, Lohata P.O. Varanasi, U.P. 221107.
Telephone : (0542) 2255214
Congregation of Jesus (CJ)
The Congregation of Jesus is a Pontifical congregation. Mary Ward, born in England in 1585, founded the congregation with the name Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBMV), now known as Congregation of Jesus (CJ). The first house was founded in St. Omer in 1609. Mary Ward was a pioneer of active, unenclosed religious life for women and a firm believer in the rights for women in the 17th century. She was enlightened by God to take the constitutions of St. Ignatius, who was the co-founder and whose spirituality is practiced by the congregation.
In 1853, Bishop Anastasius, OFM. Cap. invited the sisters to open a school in Patna. The second house was opened in Allahabad in 1866. The sisters undertake educational work, conduct dispensaries and hospitals, and are engaged in Parish work and village apostolate.
The first house in the Diocese of Varanasi was opened on July 24, 1993. They extended their work to look after the mentally retarded children.
Superior General : Sr. M. Mechtild Meckl, CJ
Generalate : Istituto B.M.V.
Via Nomentana 250
I-00162 Rome, Italy.
Provincial : Sr. M. Mariette Purayidathil, CJ
Provincialate : St. Mary's Convent
21, Thornhill Road
Allahabad, U.P. 211001.
Telephone & Fax : (0532) 2623794
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Ashirvad Convent, Christnagar P.O., Kanaudih, Varanasi U.P. 221003.
Telephone : (0542) 2290224
2. Asha Niketan, S2 / 656 CIM, Sikraul, Varanasi, U.P. 221002
Telephone : (0542) 2282989, 99350537417
3. Maria Niketan, C/o St. John's School, Tulsipur, Chawni Line P.O., Ghazipur U.P. 233001
Telephone : (0548) 2225533
Little Sisters of Jesus (LSJ)
The Congregation was founded in 1939, among the Muslims of North Africa, by Sr. Magdelene of Jesus who had been inspired by Bro. Charles of Jesus (Charles de Foucauld). In 1946, the Congregation started to spread throughout the five continents. Today they are about 1400 Little Sisters coming from 60 different nationalities, present in 60 countries. In 1952, the first Fraternity in India was started in Varanasi, with the desire to make its presence in the spirit of prayer and friendship in the midst of the Hindu world. At present, in India, they are about 30 members in five different Fraternities.
The Little Sisters live their religious life in the midst of people so as to bring the Church closer, and make it familiar, alive and loving as much as possible. They share the work, the burdens, the hopes and the social conditions of the poor. By prayer centred on the Eucharist and their respectful friendship they try to be a sign of God's love, unity, and of witness to fraternal and universal love for all around them.
Superior General : Little Sister Getrude Veronica of Jesus
Generalate : Piccole Sorelle Di Gesu
Via Di Acquee Salvie, 2
I-00142 Roma, Italy.
Telephone : 00390665911989
Regional Superior : Little Sister Mariananda of Jesus
Regional House : Yesu Ashram
St. Thomas Town P.O.
Bangalore - 560084
Telephone : (080) 5453054
1. Yesu Ashram, D 24/19, Pandey Ghat, Varanasi, U.P. 221001
Telephone : (0542) 2454853
Missionaries of Charity (MC)
The Society is an International Religious Family founded by Mother Theresa at Calcutta on October 07, 1950.
Its aim is to quench the infinite thirst of Jesus Christ for love by the profession of Charity, Obedience and whole hearted free service to the poorest of the poor, according to the teaching and life of our Lord in the Gospel, through humble deeds of love, by nursing the sick and dying destitutes, gathering and teaching little children, visiting and caring for beggars and their children, giving shelter to the abandoned, caring for the unwanted, the unloved and the lonely, and by adoration of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
Mother General : Sr. Nirmala, MC
Generalate : 54/A Lower Circular Road
Kolkata - 700016
1. Nirmal Hriday Convent, B 3/176, Shivala Ghat, Varanasi, U.P. 221001
Telephone : (0542) 2277679
2. Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, T/155 Panch Pandav, Shivpur P.O., Vararasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2282018
Missionary Sisters of the Queen of the Apostles (SRA)
The idea of founding a Religious Congregation for the promotion of missionary work in India came to Fr. Anthony Maria Bodewig, who had worked in Pune Mission for four years. He is the charismatic founder of the congregation, although it was only eight years after his death at the initiative of Dr. Theodor Innitzer the congregation was canonically erected in the Archdiocese of Vienna by Cardinal Piffl on July 01, 1923. Dr. Theodor Innitzer became the Superior of the sisters and remained till death as Cardinal Protector after he became the Archbishop and Cardinal of Vienna, thus meriting the title of Hierarchical Founder of the Congregation.
The aim of the sisters is evangelization especially in India, by co-operating in all Parish and mission activities, primarily in villages where the presence of religious women is needed. A group of sisters came to India in 1927 to work at first in Allahabad diocese.
In May 1931, the sisters reached Varanasi. On January 15, 1932 St. Mary's Convent School was taken over. The novitiate started in 1940. The present novitiate building was blessed in December 1969. Today SRA sisters are actively involved in most of the mission stations engaged in all kinds of activities for the promotion of evangelization and education.
Superior General : Sr. Maria Goretti, SRA
Generalate Missionschwestern "Koenigin der Apostle"
A-1170 Wien, Austria
Provincial : Sr. Cyrilla D'Souza, SRA
Provincalate : St. Mary's Convent
44, Varanasi Cantt.
Telephone : 0542-2502728
E-mail : email@example.com
1. St. Mary's Convent, 44, Varanasi Cantt. U.P. 221002.
Telephone : (Pro.) (0542) 2502728
(House) (0542) 2506413
2. Christ the King Convent, Mughalsarai, Chandauli, U.P. 232 101.
Telephone : (05412) 255915
3. Deen Dayalu Mata Convent, Mariabad P.O., Zahurabad, Ghazipur, U.P. 233222.
Telephone : (05493) 286657
4. St. Francis Convent, Francispur, P. O., Parsia , Via-Rasra, Ballia, U.P. 221712.
Telephone : (05491) 226059
5. Ishmata Convent, Belasi P.O., Nandganj, Ghazipur, U.P. 233302.
Telephone : 9452322975
6. Jeevandhara Convent, Bhusaula, Christnagar, P.O. Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2626230
7. Jeevan Jyoti Convent, Aktha, Sarnath P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221007.
Telephone : (0542) 2585151
8. St. John's Convent, D.L.W., Varanasi, U.P. 221004.
Telephone : (0542) 2271573
9. Jyoti Niketan Convent, Atlas Pokhara, Azamgarh, U.P. 276001.
Telephone : (05462) 224784
10. Karuna Dham, H.No. SA 15/170, Pratap Nagar Colony, R.T.O. Sarnath P.O., U.P. 221007
Telephone : (0542) 2591119
11. Lourdes Convent, Tulsi Sagar, Ghazipur City, U.P. 233001.
Telephone : (0548) 2220277
12. Mariammayee Ashram, D. 8/15 Kalika Gali, Godowlia, Varanasi, U.P. 221001.
Telephone : (0542)2393695
13. Maria Niketan Convent, Nai Bazar P.O., Bhadohi,
Telephone : (05414) 278235
14. Maria Sadan Convent, Baijalpur P.O., Via Rasra, Ballia, U.P. 221712.
Telephone : (05491) 237209
15. Nav Jeevan Convent, Sona Talab, Varanasi, U.P. 221007
Telephone : (0542) 2586443
16. Nav Vani Convent, School for the Hearing Impaired, Koirajpur Village, Harahua P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221105.
Telephone : (0542) 2624874
17. Nirmala Nivas Convent, Indara P. O., Mau Dt., U.P. 275102
Telephone : (0547) 2272278
18. Nityanand Ashram, Sarnath P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221007.
Telephone : (0542) 2585307
19. Our Lady of Dolours Convent, Hartmannpur P.O., Ghazipur, U.P. 233225.
Telephone : (05493) 282016
20. Sanjeevani, Juniorate House, Bhusaula, Christnagar P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2626281
\21. Sant Pushpa Convent, Jamwaon, Khandwa P.O., Ballia, U.P. 221718.
Telephone : (05491) 257561
22. Vidya Niketan Convent, Tadvanava, Ghazipur, U.P. 233001.
Telephone : (0548) 2222033
23. Yesudham Convent, Chuharpur, Narayanpur P.O., Via Chaubepur, Varanasi, U.P. 221009
Telephone : (0542) 2238039, 2230165
24. Nitya Chaitanya Vihar, House No. SA. 14/291, Baraipur, Sarnath P.O., U.P. 221007
Telephone : (0542) 2595645
Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM)
The Congregation was founded in 1897, by Mother Marie Louise De Meester, a Belgian at Mulagumoodu, K.K. Dist. (Tamil Nadu), South India. From the beginning the Congregation was marked by its international character, sending of missionaries and starting new foundations in different parts of the world. Today it has expanded to Belgium, Italy, Philippines, Hongkong, Taiwan, England, United States, Gautemala, Brazil, Cameroon, Zaire, Burundi, Lebanon, Jamaica, Haiti, St. Croix, Antigua, Montserrat and Dominica. Its apostolate is in Educational, Social, Technical and Medical spheres.
The congregation started its first house in Varanasi in the year 1971, at Sarnath, opposite to Chaukhandi Stupa, the historical place of Buddha. The sisters are active in the ministry of looking after young girls in the area giving them education of handicrafts. Sisters are known for the embroidery work. They have extended their house as formation for the candidates at Nav Path, Pandeypur. Here the candi- dates do their regular studies in the college and persue the vocation.
Mother General : Mother Cleymans Josee, ICM
Via Filugaso 40
I-00173 Roma, Italy
Telephone : 00390672672512
Fax : 00390672672513
Provincial : Sr. A. Rechel, ICM
Provincialate : ICM District House
6, Madurai Main Road,
Crawford P.O. Box 10,
Tiruchirapalli - 620012
Telephone : (0431) 473740
Fax : (0431) 410147
1. Snehalaya, Opp. Chaukhandi Stupa, Sarnath P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221007.
Telephone : (0542) 2595140
2. Nav Path, ICM Candidate House, P.O. Box 2058 S/8-223, C-2 Sudhakar Road, Khajuri, Varanasi, U.P. 221002.
Telephone : (0542) 2500307
Medical Sisters of St. Joseph (MSJ)
The Congregation of the Medical Sisters of St. Joseph, a Religious Congregation exclusively devoted to medical services, had its beginning in the first half of the 20th century at Dharmagiri, Kothamangalam, Kerala.
Fatima Hospital, Mau, has come to this stage of development because of the hard work and encouragement of Rt. Rev. Patrick D'Souza. Impelled by an abiding spirit of Christian charity and a keen awareness of the vastness and urgency of the problems due to lack of medical facilities in this region of eastern U.P. Rev. Mother Theophane, the then Mother General of the Congregation of the M.S.J. at the request of His Lordship Rt. Rev. Patrick D'Souza offered the services in the proposed hospital at Mau. First of all a small building was erected and three Medical Sisters of St. Joseph came here and started a dispensary and community health service in December 1975.
Now it is a 250 beds hospital with the departments of General Medicine, General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Paediatric, neonatology, anaesthesiology, dentistry, pathology and lab, radiology and ultrasonology, orthopaedics, dermatology, physiotherapy, ICU, pharmacy, billing and account section.
Emergency services are rendered round the clock. At present there are 21 doctors, 85 nurses, 118 nursing students, 13 DMLT students, 40 paramedical staff and 56 other staff members rendering their services to the ailing humanity and thus putting into practice the motto of the Congregation - "Love Serves".
Mother General : Mother Ruth, MSJ
Generalate : St. Joseph's Convent
Kerala - 686691
Telephone : (0485) 2860294
Fax : (0485) 2861975
Provincial : Sr. Jyotis, MSJ
Provincialate : Lizieux Bhavan
Little Flower Provincialate
Kursi Road, Lucknow
Telephone : (0522) 2365260, 9415110475
Fax : (0522) 2360614
1. Fatima Hospital, Chandmari, Mau, U.P. 275101
Telephone : Convent (0547) 2220665
Nurshing School : (0547) 2229639
Hospital : (0547) 2224406, 2220943
2. Fatima Health Centre, Raghuvarganj, Parassa Post, Mohammadabad, Ghazipur Dist. U.P. 233301
Telephone : 9453107198, 9450721148
Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (SABS)
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (SABS) has its origin in the personal experience of the Eucharistic presence of the Servant of God. Thomas Kurialacherry (1873-1925), an ardent devotee of the Holy Eucharist. The Congregation had its humble beginning in a cowshed at Edathua in Kerala on January 29, 1908.
The charism of SABS is Eucharistic devotion. The whole Congregation is taken as a single unit to have a chain of adoration, both day and night, throughout the year. Perpetual Adoration is being conducted in various cities in Kerala and other places like Ajmer, Vijayawada, Delhi, Warangal, Ootty, Ujjain, Imphal, Dimapur, Gwalior City, Jammu, Jagdalpur and Orissa.
The sisters of SABS extend their services in the fields of Education, Healing, Social Work and Missionary activities as to the needs of the time and place. At present the Congregation has more than 4000 sisters in 7 Provinces, 5 Vice Provinces and 5 Regions. The Congregation started Eucharistic Adoration in
St. Mary's Cathedral, Varanasi, in September 2000.
Mother General : Mother Stella Maris, SABS
Generalate : Adoration Generalate
U.C. College P.O.
Telephone : (0484) 670166
Provincial : Sr. Rosily, SABS
Provincialate Aradhana Bhavan
Patheri, Mahadev P.O.
Satna Dist. M.P. 485022
Telephone : (07672) 30099
1. Aradhana Bhavan, St Mary's Cathedral, 66, Cantt. Varanasi, U.P. 221002.
Telephone : (0542) 2506024
2. St. John's Convent, Katsila Post, Jagdisarai, Chandauli,
Telephone : 9415600502
Sisters of Our Lady of Providence (OLP)
The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Providence was founded in the Cathedral parish of Saints, France in 1817 by Fr. De Rupt, the parish priest of St. Peter's Cathedral and Miss Elizabeth Vassal, who later became the superior general of the Congregation. Her religious name was Mother St. Irene.
The main thrust of the charism is the education of the youth and empowerment of the poor and marginalized groups in different countries. The main concern of the Congregation is to reveal God's love to every one through various apostolate such as formal and non formal education, health care, pastoral care, social work, prison ministry, special care for the elderly people, youth, women and girl children. The Good News that the congregation called to share is "in Jesus Christ all are brothers and sisters".
The Congregation has communities in France, Spain, England, Latin America and India, responding to the needs of the time and place. It is divided into four regions. The first house in India was opened in 1978 in Kerala. In 1981 a house was opened in Varanasi. Working in eight diocese of India, there are sixteen communities in the service of the Church.
Now there are seven communities in Varanasi diocese. The present Regionalate was inaugurated in 2006. The congregation has completed successful twenty five years of service in Varanasi in 2006.
Mother General : Sr. Marie Anne, OLP
Generalate Ste. Marie De La Providence
Saintes 17100, France
Telephone : 00-33-546903800, 546903866
Fax : 00-33-546977546
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Superior : Sr. Meera, OLP
Regional House : Ekta Vihar,
Tarna, Shivpur P.O.,
Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2284346,
Mobile : 9415600041
Fax : (0542) 2284346
E-mail : email@example.com
1. Amar Vani Convent, Providence Sisters, Tajopur, Mau, U.P. 275 101
Telephone : (0547)2860288
2. Asha Nivas, Providence Pre-Novitiate, Harahua P.O., Koirajpur, Varanasi, U.P. 221105.
Telephone : (0542) 2624242 / 9795821675
3. Ekta Vihar, Providence Regionalate, Tarna, Shivpur P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2284346
Mobile : 9415600041
4. St. Joseph's Convent, Shivpur, Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 2282316, 2284346
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Maria Niketan Convent, Zamania, Ghazipur, U.P. 232329.
Telephone : (05497) 252282
6. Pratiksha, Providence Novitiate, Tarna, Shivpur Post, Varanasi, U.P. 221003
Telephone : (0542) 6541821, 2284386
7. Providence Convent, Baharpur Village, Bhimpura No. I P.O., Ballia, U.P. 221716.
Telephone : 9450181533
Sisters of Providence of Gap (SPG)
The Congregation of Sisters of Providence of Gap was founded in 1762, in France, by Blessed John Martin Moye for the education of the less fortunate girls. In 1838, a branch of it was established in the Southern part of France, in the town of Gap. This was the beginning of the Congregation of the Sisters of Providence of Gap.
The Charism received from its founder, has for its goal the "Glory of God through the consecration of its members and through the evangelizing action in the spirit of Providence". The members commit themselves in apostolic community to participate in the mission and holiness of the Church. This is achieved by different tasks preferably for the poor and the abandoned, giving special attention to the youth. These tasks are always related to education and Christian formation, the care of the sick and the different types of developmental, health and pastoral activities.
In 1867 the Holy See recognised it as a Congregation of simple vows. Today the members work in different countries like Spain, Italy, Mexico, Brazil, Bolivia and Africa.
In 1978 the first house in India was opened in Bihar, now Jharkhand. On July 11, 1983 the Novitiate which started in Sahibganj, Jharkhand, was shifted to Varanasi in February 1990.
In 1991, the Indian Mission was raised into a Region and on Feb. 11, 2003 into a Province.
Superior General : Sr. Constanza Tobias Alvarez, SPG
Generalate : Soeurs De La Providence
21, Rue Anatole France
94270 Kremlin Bicetre
Provincial : Sr. Therese Ettiyil, SPG
Provincialate : Perana (Astha)
Chutipur, Nanda- P.O.,
W. Bengal - 712 124
Telephone : (033) 69427822
1. Maria Sadan, S 4/18 A1, Karaundi, Susuwahi, Varanasi, U.P. 221005.
Telephone : (0542) 2575101
2. Navodaya, 29 Mahamanapuri, Near ITI, Karaundi, Varanasi, U.P. 221005.
Telephone : (0542) 2570228
3. Sisters of Providence of Gap, D.L.W. School, Varanasi U.P. 221005.
Telephone : (0542) 2270400
Sisters of St. Anne of Tiruchirapalli (SAT)
The history of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Anne of Tiruchirapalli, dates back to the latter half of the 19th century, when child marriage and early widowhood were prevalent in Indian society. Society looked down on widows as bearers of ill omen, and re-marriage of widows was almost unheard of. The foundress, Rev. Mother Annammal herself a widow, heard the divine call to bring succour to many catholic widows around her. She joined with some more widows, did work of charity which others would not dare to do; visiting the sick, comforting the oppressed and marginalised, instructing poor children, begging to give food to the starving and the sick. On February 02, 1858, their group was duly established as a Pious Association under the patronage of
St. Anne and Joachim.
On July 26, 1880, Bishop Alexis Canoz, S.J., Apostolic Prefect of Madurai, canonically erected the Diocesan Congregation of
St. Anne, Tiruchirapalli. On December 17, 1977, during the reign of Paul VI, the Congregation was recognised as one of the congregations of the Pontifical Right.
The Congregation was divided into five Provinces namely Tiruchirapalli, Madurai, Palayamkottai, Kumbakonam and Mumbai. According to the needs of the times, the sisters began to devote themselves to various forms of evangelical, educational, medical and social work. The Congregation extends its service to many dioceses in India and also in foreign countries like Italy, Iran, Libiya and U.S.A. Inspired by their motto: "Love, Prayer and Service" they all strive for the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth, upholding the charism of the congregation "Simplicity in Life and Service to the Poor". In response to the invitation of Bishop Patrick Paul D'Souza of Varanasi, a house was opened at Siddiqpur in 1997, which comes under Mumbai Province.
Superior General : St. Edwige Dolorosa, SAT
Generalate : St. Anne's Generalate
Tamilnadu - 620012
Telephone : (0431) 471975, 472547
Fax : (0431) 472448
Mobile : 9842423399
Provincial Superior : Sr. Angel, SAT
Provincialate : St Anne's Convent
"C Wing, Dhuri Sheraton"
Vidhya Mandir Road,
Ambadi Road, Vasai (W);
Thane - Dt.
Maharastra - 401202
Telephone : (02503) 337919 (P)
1. St. Ann's Convent, Siddiqpur, Jaunpur, U.P. 222110.
Telephone : (05452) 268062
2. St. Ann's Convent, Ghosi, Dharauli Post, Manikpur Harauha, Mau Dt., U.P. 272504
Sisters of St. Ann of Providence (SA)
The History of Congregation of the Sisters of St. Ann was founded in Turin, Italy in 1834 by the pious couple Marquis Carlo Tancredi Faletti, di Barolo and Guilia Colbert di Maulevrier. They dedicated themselves to the education and formation of children and youth. The main mission of the congregation is education and Christian formation of children and young girls, especially of the poor and the needy. The Institute extends its activities to mission lands in educational, medical and social works. The Generalate is in Rome, Italy. The congregation has houses in Italy, India, Brazil, Mexico, Philippines, United States, Peru, Argentina and Cameroon. There are three provinces in India. The houses in the Varanasi diocese come under the Province of St. Ann Northern India.
Superior General : Mother Ernestine Fernandes, SA
Instituto Sant’ Anna
Via degli Aldobrandeschi, 100
00163 Roma, Italia
Tele & Fax : 0039 06 66418350
Email : email@example.com
Provincial Superior : Sr. Doreen D’Souza, SA
St. Ann’s Provincialate
H - 2/3 Vikaspuri
New Delhi - 110 018
Tele & Fax : 011 - 28547941
Email : Annpro@vsnl.net
1. Asha Kiran, Koirajpur, Harahua P.O., Varanasi - U.P. 221 105
Telephone : (0542) 2624016
Mobile : 09335333978
2. St. Ann’s Convent, St. John’s School, Ledhupur, Varanasi, U.P. 221 007
Mobile : 09451375893
Sisters of the Holy Cross of Chavanod (SC)
Founded in Chavanod, a little village of Savoie, in the South East of France in 1838, by Fr. Peter Mermier and Mother Claudine Echernier. The situation of girls was particularly difficult and it was a great preoccupation for certain zealous and devoted priests. Fr. Mermier, founder of the Missionaries of Saint Francis de Sales was one of them and he searched for ways and means to remedy this evil. At this time, there lived at Chavanod, in the service of presbytery a pious, energetic and devoted person Claudine Echernier, who began togather around her children and young girls of the parish and guided them to lead a more perfect life.
Fr. Mermier on his side had a plan for founding a Congregation of poor girls who "would apply themselves to their own sanctification while procuring at the same time, the Glory of God and the Salvation of their neighbour". Thus was born in extreme poverty and great simplicity a Congregation of a new type for those times.
The sisters have a special call to live more intensely the mystery of the cross "Summary of our faith, foundation of our hope, rule of our life". By the grace of this mystery, the sisters experience an ever growing joy in identifying themselves with Christ, in His merciful life.
With this spirit the sisters are led to dedicate their lives joyfully in love and service, thus to witness to the Gospel in their milieu involving in various ministries. As missionaries, the sisters work in every field of apostolate according to the needs of the Church and times to proclaim the Good News.
The Congregation conducts schools, colleges, professional and technical schools, home for the children, hospitals, dispensaries, creches; engages in direct evangelisation and offers various other domestic services.
On September 25, 1886 the first batch of Missionary Sisters came to India in Amravati, Maharastra, to work with missionaries of St. Francis De Sales. From the very beginning local girls were taken into the Congregation.
In response to the invitation of Bishop Patrick D'Souza, the province of Tiruchirapalli opened a house at Ballia in 1971 realizing the felt need of the Church there. Later it spread to different parts of U.P., Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Orissa, Nepal and Meghalaya. On July 20, 1986, in the Centenary year of the congregation in India, the Calcutta Province was inaugurated.
In 1982, the Novitiate started at Ashapur, Varanasi in a rented house. The present Novitiate building was blessed on February 26, 1987. The Congregation has five Provinces and six Novitiates in India.
Superior General : Sr. Eugene D'Souza, SC
Generalate Maison Generale
Soeurs De La Croix
Telephone : (0041) 223209282
Fax : (0041) 223209247
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Provincial : Sr. Gracy Sunder, SC
Provincialte : Sisters of the Cross
28 Lower Range
Circus Avenue P.O.
Kolkata - 700017
Telephone & Fax : (033) 22909650
E-mail : email@example.com
1. Holy Cross Convent, P.B. No. 21, Ballia, U.P. 277001.
Telephone : (05498) 225755
2. Holy Cross Novitiate, Ganeshpur, Shivpur P.O. Varanasi, U.P. 221003.
Telephone : (0542) 2282480
3. Holy Cross Convent, Marhauli, Bhoolanpur P.O., Varanasi, U.P. 221104.
Telephone : (0542) 2373583
4. Holy Cross Convent, Shantinagar, Ekavaspatti, Bhitri P.O., (Via) Saidpur, Ghazipur Dist., U.P. 233304
Satyaseva Catechist Sisters of the Families (SCS)
The Society of Satyaseva Catechist Sisters of the Families was founded by Rev. Mother Regina Woroniecka from Bydgoszr, Poland, who belonged to the congregation of Ursuline Sisters of Roman Union on May 05, 1977 at Mariapura in the diocese of Mysore, Karnataka, India. The Foundress hailed from a deep-rooted Christian family in faith and tradition and thus she was moved by the spiritual misery of the new baptized Christian communities who were living like sheep without a shepherd.
Telephone : 9235911472, 9451197088
Responding to the promptings of the Spirit she was inspired to undertake the family centered ministry through evangelization and catechesis in the families in order to build up the faith of the parents who are instrumental in the faith formation of their children.
The congregation was erected to the canonical status by Nihi Obstat obtained from the Holy See by the Bishop of Mysore, Rt. Rev. Dr. Mathias Fernandes on January 1, 1984. At present there are 118 sisters working in 9 dioceses of India and abroad. Their name "Satyaseva Sisters" is derived from Sanskrit meaning service of God's Truth, which expresses the Charism of the Congregation.
The first and for most apostolate is evangelization and catechesis mainly centered in the family in the rural communities, poor and marginailized slum dwellers urban areas quarry workers, tribals, new converts and nomadic tribes. As the members visit families with praying catechesis, they also show concern over many social, moral and spiritual problems that the families face. As a means to the end they also enter into the day-to-day needs and problems of the families by involving in different social activities and developmental programmes.
The sisters are working in 21 different communities in the Archdiocese of Bangalore, Mysore, Thanjavoor, Kannur, Punalur, Manathavadi, Kollam, Delhi, Agra and Varanasi. In Varanasi, sisters look after the Jeevan Dhara Bible exhibition at the Cathedral.
Superior General : Rev. Sr. Vinaya Nangamkuzhiyil, SCS
Satyaseva Sisters Generalate
1/2 Cookson Road
Bangalore - 560 005 Karnataka
Telephone : (080) 25496604, 25496485
1. Satyasevalaya, H. No. 8/3, Patel Nagar, Varanasi Cantt., U.P. 221002
Society of Jesus, Mary and Joseph (JMJ)
The Congregation was founded at Amerstfoot in Holland in 1882 by Fr. Mathias Wolff and introduced in India in Guntur Diocese (A.P.) in 1904. It’s aim is 'always ready for souls' with the charism "Ever adaptable apostolic availability." The Congregation adopts educational, medical, social, catechetical, pastoral, evangeli-zation works as its principal apostolates. According to the spirit of the Founder, the Society is open to respond to the signs of the times.
Sisters work in rural areas, in community development programmes, dispensaries, health centres, mobile health units, technical schools, social service centres, care of lepers, aged and handicapped. Every effort is made to give necessary training to the sisters in the above apostolates.
Superior General : Sr. Theresia Supriati, JMJ
Generalate : Society of Jesus, Mary & Joseph
5262 LS Vughat,
Provincial : Sr. Innamma, JMJ
Provincialate : Jyoti Nilayam
Andhra Pradesh - 800082
1. St. Mary's Hospital, Korauta, Varanasi, U.P. 221007
Telephone : (0542) 2255104
Society of the Helpers of Mary (SHM)
The Society of the Helpers of Mary was instituted by Mother Anna Huberta Roggendorf, FC, in 1942 with a group of young girls who wanted to dedicate their lives in the service of the poor and needy. As their work became known, financial help came from generous friends and charitable societies. It was officially approved and recognized by the late Cardinal Valerian Gracias, Archbishop of Bombay, on March 9, 1962.
Telephone : (0542) 2221739
The members increased rapidly from 1959 onwards; centres were set up in slum areas, in and around Mumbai and in villages far and wide, as Gujarat, U.P. and Goa. From simple field work among leper patients and hutment dwellers, the trained sisters now run hospitals, clinics, slum schools, children's homes, literacy centres, tailoring and handicraft classes and Ashram for dying destitutes. Help, relief and services are given free to the needy of all castes and creeds. Through these activities the sisters work towards the goal of building the Kingdom of God.
Mother General : Sr. Leela, SHM
Generalate Shradha Vihar
Veera Desai Road
Telephone : (022) 26766845, 26764026
Regional Superior of
Northern Region : Sr. Reena, SHM
Regional House : Sneha Deep, Bishunpur Village
Lohata Post, Varanasi
U.P. 221 007
Telephone : (0542) 2255215
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Sr. Reena, SHM : Regional Superior
1. Sneha Deep, Bishunpur Village, Lohata Post, Varanasi, U.P. 221007
Telephone : (0542) 2255215
2. Asha Nivas, Sohaon P.O., Ballia, U.P. 277504.
Telephone : (05498) 258007
3. Karunalaya, Hariyaon Village, Gyanpur Road, Bhadohi, U.P. 221401.
Telephone : (05414) 226834
4. Maria Sevashram, Ratsar P.O., Ballia Dist., U.P.277123
Telephone : (05498) 256373
5. Premala Jyoti, Bldg. C 33/197, Chandwa, Chittupur, Varanasi, U.P. 221002.
Ursuline Franciscan Sisters of Mangalore (UFS)
This Pontifical Congregation was originally founded as a Pious Union of St. Ursula, by Fr. Urban Stein, SJ, on April 10, 1887, at Bolar, Mangalore, based on the Ursulines founded by St. Angela Merici. Through the efforts of Mother Rose Saldanha and Mother Mary Agnes Mathias, it was canonically erected by Bishop V.R. Fernandes on May 13, 1934. On August 16, 1959 this Congregation was affiliated to the Franciscan Third Order. With the motto "For the love of God", the Sisters are engaged in works of charity, mainly in rural and missionary areas, imparting Christian education to children and youth, catechising, helping in pastoral work, running orphanages, and health centres, visiting the sick and doing social work among the poor and needy.
Mother General : Mother Dorene D’Souza, UFS
Generalate : Ursuline Franciscan Generalate
D.K. Karnataka - 574160
Telephone : (0824) 202803
Fax : (0824) 703194
E-mail : email@example.com
Provincial : Sr. Benedicta Tellis, UFS
Jeevan Dhara Convent
Gaurabagh, Sports College, P.O.
Gudumba, Kursi Road
Lucknow - 226025
Telephone : (0522) 2361577
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Fatima Convent, Tajopur P.O., Mau Dist., U.P. 275101.
Telephone : (0547) 2860097
2. Shree Yesu Ashram, Mirpur Tandi, Banpokhra, P.O., Mau, U.P. 221603.
Telephone : (05461) 261087
Ursulines of Mary Immaculate (UMI)
| The Institute of the Ursulines of Mary Immaculate was founded at Piacenza, Northern Italy in 1649 by the Venerable Mother Brigi of Jesus. The special end of the Institute is the education of girls in the spirit of the Catholic Faith and instructing them in all branches of knowledge and works suitable to their condition.
The institute in 1933 extended its activities to mission lands and now it specializes in educational, medical and social works.
Mother General : Mother Bernadina Poonthottam, UMI
Generalate : Istituto Orsoline Di Maria Immacolata
Via Dandolo 46
I-00153 Roma, Italy
Telephone : 0039-06-5812150, 58310578
Provincial : Sr. Carol, UMI
Provincialate : Vimal Sadan
Sector - M 540
Kanpur Road, Ashiana, Lucknow
Telephone : (0522) 2668144, 2668349
Fax : (0522) 32536039
1. St. Mary's Convent, Mariampur, Raghopur, Athilapura, (Via) Rasra, Ballia Dist., U.P. 221712.
Telephone : (05491) 226109
2. Nirmala Niketan, P.O. Masoompur, (Via) Sikanderpur, Ballia Dist., U.P. 277303.
Telephone : (05498) 270319
3. St. Patrick's Convent, Seethala Chaunkia, Jaunpur, U.P. 222106.
Telephone : (05452) 264868, 263711